Saturday 7 March 2009

Anorexia

This morning I was at the gym and in walked a sickly thin girl (this is the second time I’ve seen her).
She headed straight for the treadmill and put it on a steep incline setting and began her intense power walk workout that lasted longer than the time I stayed at the gym. Her tights, which commonly hug the skin on most people that wear them, were loose (significantly loose) on her. She had on headphones and was reading a magazine, one my friend later described as “freaky”. It’s almost too cliché to say she was reading a beauty magazine, but that’s what it was.
It’s been a while since I’ve come across someone with an eating disorder and even though I don’t know her, there was something so sad about seeing her.
I think it’s sad on a lot of levels:

1. The fact that someone can become so obsessed with their looks or weight, but for who? Why can’t people be happy with who they are? I know it’s definitely easier said than done…
But whoever you’re trying to impress is clearly not worth THAT
2. Maybe she doesn’t have anyone to tell her she’s pretty or unique or whatever it is that reassures people about themselves?
3. The fact that the media bombards people with images of “beautiful”, skinny people and makes people believe that unless they fit into some arbitrary narrow beauty allotment (I can’t think of the word), then they won’t be happy, or pretty or whatever..
4. The fact that our world is so confused. Some people are starving because they have no choice and would do anything for food. And then some people feel the need to starve themselves despite the abundance of food around them.

After my workout and before starting my history paper, I was scoping out BBC news to see what’s going on in the world and came across a quote by a young Sudanese girl:
“It is very kind to send us food, but this is Africa and we are used to being hungry. What I ask is that you please take the guns away from the people who are killing us” -Aisha
Sad.

-Well on my wait out of the gym, I tried making eye contact so I could at least smile, if nothing else, and maybe strike up a conversation the next time I see her, but she didn’t look up.

I was also googling anorexia when I got back and found this:
Lack of food deprives the body of essential protein and prevents the normal metabolism of fat, resulting in:
* An irregular heartbeat that can lead to heart failure and death
* Dehydration
* Kidney stone formation and kidney failure
* Weakness because of muscle wasting
* Constipation
* Growth of fine downy hair on the face and arms
* Lack of calcium, which may cause osteoporosis
* Interrupted or no periods

Sad and scary…

No comments:

Post a Comment